Kyra Prays: How are you starting off your new spiritual year?

Sunday, January 2, 2011

How are you starting off your new spiritual year?

There are many ways that you can start off your year to try and get back on track spiritually or to just start this year on a positive foot. I started mine by listening/watching online sermons and I'm going to be having a few days of silence.

I've thought a lot about how to go about this whole silence-vow thing and I've prayed about it every night and I'm happy to say that I've come to a final decision. I will be starting my silence on Wednesday. I plan to stay silent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. This may carry on to Saturday, but I'm not making that choice right now, we'll see what God has to say on Friday about it haha. I decided to stop trying to be so strict on myself with "I will talk to PJ for one hour in the morning and once at night," as I had previously talked about. Instead, I'm just remaining silent. I won't be getting online, I won't be answering my phone unless it seems like something extremely important (like a number I don't know, which could be about a job). I *will* be checking my texts, but I won't be responding to them unless they're an emergency. I *will* be checking my voicemails, but I won't be responding unless it's an emergency. I'll respond to all of them after my silent time, but not during or before.

Now, this is just the way I want to start my year. I don't think this is necessarily what is best for everyone else's spiritual journeys. Other options are out there. One that I really suggest for anyone who is up for it is a Daniel Fast. The diet you eat during a Daniel Fast is very similar to veganism with adding in no sugars and no processed things like white flour and white rice. They typically last for 21 days, though you can do one for any amount of time you feel is being put on your heart. The blogged I linked on the "Daniel Fast" text outlines everything that it entails, and if you have the money and want to I highly suggest her book "The Daniel Fast." I own it, and it's great.

So maybe fasting isn't for you.
There are even more options. You could begin doing devotionals, decide to do a "read the bible in a year" program, start regularly attending a church, etc etc.

And you may choose not to do anything new! It's all about personal choice because faith is an extremely personal thing and no one can tell what is best for your life. But I just find something empowering about starting the new year off doing something to "mark the occasion."

Hope you all are still having a wonderful new year, and a wonderful Sunday!
Off to watch today's live broadcast (in 20 minutes) of the sermon at Champions Centre because I missed church this morning (long story).

No comments:

Post a Comment